Monday, June 21, 2010

Sex in the City 2


Maybe its cardinal sin for a girl-woman but I was never a fan of the series. To tell you the truth, I have never watched a FULL episode. The reason for this is because I hung out with boys. For as long as I can remember, my best friends have always been boys. Boys saved me from other boys. Boys taught me what they really thought about girls and I never had a problem understanding Martians.

So I could never relate to a bunch of girls, long live sisterhood and travelling pants. To me, women in general were ala Mean Girls. Don’t get me wrong. I love fashion, I had female friends (and still do keep some) and it is comforting to know that you can truly have a platonic relationship with a woman (unless she swings your way). I try and I try but I could never really relate to SATC. 

Until SATC 2: Carrie Bradshaw has been married to the love of her life for two years (has it been that long already?) and is in desperate need to find the “sparkle.”  She is also struggling with identity: is she a wife or the eternal single woman? Miranda seems to have hit the glass ceiling (or hand) and a partner always put her down. Charlotte, mother-of-two, is too busy looking at her nanny’s tits while discovering that she isn’t “the perfect mother”. The outspoken Samantha fights aging and menopause like a crime by taking too many pills.


So what is it about SATC 2 that hit a nerve?

Our usual suspects look happy with life and the Big Apple but what is next for them? I remember in one scene, Carrie Bradshaw (Sarah Jessica Parker) forces Mr. Big (Chris Noth) to go to an exclusive event. At the premiere, Mr. Big, finally has a good time (despite the badly catered food) talking to a Spanish Banker played by Penelope Cruz. Later at home, they fight. Bradshaw does not want to end up being like a traditional “old married couple”. In another scene, Bradshaw receives a flat screen TV to watch B&W movies. Despite Big’s enthusiasm, she’s highly disappointed. She would rather receive jewelry than a TV for an anniversary present.

As a married woman who often has to force her husband to go out for an event, I finally feel for Bradshaw.   WE finally have something in common! I don't know about you but the role of marriage, motherhood and the fear of looking like Miley Cyrus’ mom, does scare me.  
So they head to Abu Dhabi (actually shot in Morocco)…city of entertainment, city of modernity, city of decadence…city of tradition...

Now, the bad and the ugly starts to surface…

Writer-Director, Michael Patrick King wasn’t so “off the ball” when a bevy of ladies started to reveal what was really underneath them abayas…

You see…I remember going to Mecca recently and while waiting for the next prayer call or azan, I would eye a veiled woman carrying her Louboutin pumps into the mosque, notice a lady sporting Vera Wang shades on top of her tudung or find myself next to the owner of an LV monogram rose speedy in a niqab

I, myself was veiled and wearing an abaya throughout this entire experience.

However, as a Muslim woman, I did find certain aspects of the movie rather insensitive: French fry eating Arab woman in a niqab and the karaoke scene was just tacky.  Rules are the way you understand the game and Samantha screaming “condoms” would not only anger a crowd in any part of Arabia but would get you stoned to death (literally). No amount of Chanel or Manolo Blahniks can save you then.

To add salt to the wound, just because Samantha has A LOT of sex, does not mean she is more empowered than Muslim women (or in this case Arab women).  Remember: not all Arabs are Muslim and not all Muslims are Arab. 
The SATC 2 girls should have come to Malaysia instead. All they would do is eat! Don’t get me wrong, I’m no jihadist and definitely no hypocrite. I’m all for light entertainment and fashion vomit - I thoroughly enjoyed watching the girls prance in expensive outfits. However, Hollywood should learn to speak to an audience other than Sarah Palin. Let’s hope that future SATC movies do not repeat the mistake of poking fun on other cultures, maybe touch more on universal issues like love and how to keep it.  Back to basics people!
How about…Evan Handler’s character, leaves Charlotte for big boobs? Can’t wait!  Yours  Truly,    The Editor  
Movie Stills courtesy of Warner Bros         *Check out the soundtrack, love the song "Rapture" by Alicia Keys and "Window Seat" by Erykah Badu

No comments:

Post a Comment